Who amongst you, pray thee tell,
Knew old Joseph Grewcock well?
And what news of the other brothers?
And sisters, cousins, fathers, mothers?
GENUKI Barwell page
THE GREWCOCKS OF BARWELL
My FRISBYs were related to the GREWCOCKS by marriage: my great-grandfather, Henry FRISBY, married Mary-Ann GREWCOCK on October 13, 1866. Mary-Ann died February 12, 1904 at the age of 66.
- Mary-Ann had two brother, Joseph and Whetstone.
- Whetstone lived at Claybrooke Hall and had three daughters, Mable, Marion and Janet, who never married. To see the photo of Claybrooke Hall, click here.
- Mary-Ann's other brother, Joseph, a market gardener from Hinckley, married twice and had three sons.
- William Thomas (called Will) married Kittie (?) I assume he was the butcher and farmer to whom I refer later who lived in Barwell. He may also be one of the Williams buried in St. Mary's churchyard
- John Pegg (called Jack) m Gertrude Marchant (Gertie) on October 25, 1908
- Joseph Whetstone (d in infancy)
- A number of Grewcocks are listed in "White's History, Gazetteer and Directory of the Counties of Leicester and Rutland (1877)," as the GREWCOCKS were a prominent Barwell family.
- The Grewcocks that are listed in White's as Barwell residents are CHARLES, GEORGE and THOMAS (market gardeners and WILLIAM (butcher and farmer.)
- Tim Arguile has sent me some fascinating information concerning the GREWCOCKS of Barwell. It seems that one Grewcock was a partner in a factory with an ancestor of Tim's -Factories in Barwell
Arguile, Grewcock and Ward - High Street
'Nazzy' Grewcock - Arthur Street
- And this next courtesy of Tim as well -
"Barwell was a place which abounded in nicknames, practically all families
were identified by their nicknames. The Grewcock families were as follows:
Nedles, Drummer, Teddus, Tarris, Ludy, Fletcher, Monkey, Cabby and of
- If you have relatives in the Barwell area, you might be interested in a book called, "BYGONE BARWELL: a nostalgic look at the 1920's and 1930's" by Tom Johnson. It was published by the Earl Shilton and District Local History Group.
- Josie from London writes," I have an ancestor, Samuel Sherwin, who married Rebecca Grewcock in 1813 in Hathern, Leics. Rebecca was baptised in 1792 and buried in 1825, both events in Barwell. Samuel and Rebecca produced 8 children before she died in childbirth in 1825. Samuel Sherwin then went on to marry Hannah Haswell of Stoke Golding." If this rings a bell with anyone, contact me, and I'll put you in touch with her.
- In St. Mary's churchyard, Barwell, are to be found the following headstones (information courtesy of Tim arguile):
- Sacred to the memory of William Grewcock son of George and Mary Grewcock who departed this life November 6th 1829 in the 24th year of his age
- In affectionate remembrance of Thomas Grewcock who departed this life September 24th 1863 aged 77 years Also Sarah the beloved wife of Thomas Grewcock who departed this life 15th day of February 1851 aged 68 years
- The following inscription is in poor condition and very difficult to read:William Grewcock Died Aug 27th 18_3 aged 68 years------Beloved wife of William Grewcock -----1883 Aged 79 years
- In memory of George Grewcock who died Jan'y 29th 1876 aged 68 years also Elizabeth relict of the above who died April 9th 1883 aged 60 years
- George Grewcock who departed this life September 26th 1810 aged 36 years. Also of Mary his wife. She died February 13th 1811 Aged 39 years.
- In memory of Thomas Grewcock who departed this life September 26th 1810 aged 36 years. Ann his wife who departed this life June 9th 1778 Aged 47. Also William Grewcock who departed this life April 28th 1796 Aged 52. Also Elizabeth Grewcock (The rest of this inscription, if any, is buried)
- In loving memory of James Grewcock Died June 15th 1890 Aged 79 years. Also Sophia Beloved wife of the above Died March 20th 1886, Aged 73 years. Also John son of the above Died June 29th 1889 Aged 37 years
- In affectionate remembrance of Emma daughter of Joseph and Amy Grewcock who died August 13th 1843 aged 2 years
- In loving memory of Mary Groocock who died at Barwell after a long and painful illness July 22 1894 Aged 72 years.
- In affectionate remembrance of Elizabeth wife of William Mennell and daughter of Elijah and Ann Grewcock who died September 24th 1871 aged 29 years. Mary died Aug 3 1853 Aged 7 years. James died in infancy.
- In affectionate remembrance of Sarah wife of Neville Norman and daughter of Elijah and Ann Grewcock who died May 24th 1876 Aged 24 years
- In affectionate remembrance of George Grewcock who died April 2 1879 Aged 76 years. Also Elizabeth wife of George Grewcock who died August 14th 1877 aged 70 years. Also George Son of the above who died Nov 28th 1876 aged 35 years
- Sacred to the memory of Thomas Grewcock who departed this life February 3rd 1818 aged 38 years. Also Mary relict of the above who died 6th September 1855 in her 77th year of age
- GREWCOCKS listed on the War Memorial
- Jos. Grewcock
- Wm. Grewcock
- Jos. Grewcock
- Robt. J. Grewcock
- Len. Grewcock
- L.L. Grewcock
- If you have information to add about the GREWCOCKS, I will add all relevant contribution to my page to share with other researchers.
- You can send me the information in one of two ways:and leave a message in the guest book.
A big thanks to all!